Please check back regularly for updates.
About the Position
This prominent position presents a unique opportunity with a leading environmental organization.
The Senior Director for Programs is responsible for guiding Urban Green’s industry-leading policy, research and education initiatives. As part of the Executive Team, the Senior Director is also intimately involved in organizational strategy, cross-program alignment and fundraising.
Nimble and rapidly growing, Urban Green Council seeks a candidate with deep technical expertise, excellent communication skills and a strong professional network within the green building community. This position will provide the qualified candidate broad latitude to shape the field of green building and positively impact the future of New York City and New York State.
- Lead the department and direct existing initiatives and projects, such as:
- Driving reductions in plug loads
- Advocating for revisions to the city’s zoning resolution that would improve building performance
- Ongoing collaborations with NYSERDA, including programs to spur energy-efficient products for retrofits and reducing retrofit soft costs
- Identify and advocate for new state and local policies based on industry input, research findings and national and global sustainability initiatives
- Serve as primary point of contact with city and state elected officials and their staff; build strong relationships with new 2018 City Council leadership Convene and consult with industry stakeholders to seek consensus on major policies
- Provide technical advice and perspective
- Lead the department and provide guidance on upcoming research initiatives, including:
- Predictive tool for NYC carbon trends
- The relationship between building air leakage and fire safety
- Analysis of annual NYC building energy and water usage
- Advance formation of regional research collaborative
- Align research topics with strategic goals, with a focus on increasing the influence of Urban Green reports
Education (Public Programs)
- Provide guidance on Urban Green seminars and the annual conference (~30 events annually)
- Ensure program topics align with strategic plan priorities
- Leverage the role events play in shaping dialogue in the green building community and help lay the foundation for new ideas and practice
Outreach & Engagement
- Work with Urban Green’s Communications team to ensure reports, announcements and other programmatic materials are on message and appropriate for the intended audiences
- Collaborate with Communications and PR consultant on promotion and outreach. May include media interviews, writing blogs and development of seminars to support initiatives
- Direct and actively participate in quarterly Board Programs Committee meetings
Organizational Leadership & Management
- With Executive Team, help direct organizational oversight and planning, including operations, human resources and finance
- Interact and collaborate with Board of Directors, including quarterly Board meetings
- Help identify, cultivate and solicit philanthropic support with the assistance of Urban Green’s development team
- Operationalize strategic goals into departmental activities
- Supervise two managerial-level direct reports in Policy and Research, and coordinate with (but not manage) the Education Director. Manage staff goal-setting, including annual and mid-year performance reviews. Ensure team is enthusiastic, challenged and growing professionally.
- At least 10 years of experience in building retrofits as a mechanical engineer or energy portfolio manager
- Excellent writing, editing, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Relevant management and supervisory experience
- Strong familiarity with building codes, particularly the energy code
- Expert understanding of green building issues and the real estate industry
- Certifications such as CEM, PMP or LEED highly desirable
- Excellent project management skills, including directing staff, volunteers and consultants.
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Benefits include paid health insurance and 401(k) plan; generous vacation policy.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter and resume in a single PDF with “Senior Director Programs" in the subject line to email@example.com.
About Urban Green Council
Urban Green Council’s mission is to transform New York City buildings for a sustainable future. We help New York City and State develop cutting-edge policy, we research solutions that are covered in The New York Times, and we educate a broad range of professionals. By working with government and industry, we leverage our effectiveness.
Urban Green pursues activities that have a scalable impact, and we focus exclusively on buildings, which account for more than 70 percent of the city’s greenhouse gas emissions.
We target influential professionals—real estate owners, property managers, builders, engineers, architects and government officials, to name a few—rather than the general public. “Influencing the influencers” allows us to reach most of the city through a very small portion of New York’s 8.5 million residents. We reach these key segments through three routes: policy, education, and research.
Help educate the building industry locally and nationally at NYC’s most impactful environmental nonprofit.
Urban Green Council seeks a highly motivated and detail-oriented Associate to help drive education for building professionals throughout North America. Urban Green Council is New York City’s premier source for education on green building design, construction and building operations.
Over 13,000 tradespeople and design professionals have completed Urban Green’s industry-leading educational programs, which focus on systemic approaches to building energy use, reductions and other leading sustainability techniques. The courses teach practical strategies that experienced professionals can use in their daily work to improve the performance of their properties and projects.
About the Position
The Education Associate is a crucial link in the delivery and promotion of Urban Green Council’s flagship educational offerings. These programs include GPRO: Green Professional Building Skills and Conquering the Energy Code. GPRO teaches tradespeople and operations professionals the principles of high performance building and trade-specific green construction knowledge. Conquering the Energy Code teaches architects and engineers how to comply with the New York State code and save energy in the process.
Reporting directly to the Education Account Executive, the Associate’s primary responsibilities are to maintain strong relationships with Training Partners across the country, coordinate course logistics, and promote programs.
Key areas of responsibility include:
Course Delivery (60%)
The Education Program Associate is on the frontline of Urban Green’s Education team, providing support for instructors, students, and partners alike. The Associate will:
- Work with Delivery Partners to coordinate course and exam logistics, including the scheduling of instructors, venues, and proctors
- Maintain course and exam schedules
- Accurately maintain all course and student records in Salesforce
- Coordinate logistics for instructor training courses as needed, including venue, registration, and follow-up documentation.
Program Marketing and Promotion (20%)
- Assist Account Executive with campaigns to expand GPRO to new constituencies and markets.
- Assist Account Executive with the creation and implementation of marketing campaigns
- Work closely with the Communications Team to:
- Create and send promotional emails and social media posts
- Regularly update education information on gpro.org and Urban Green Council website
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reporting on a range of educational activities
- Manage Continuing Education Unit (CEU) approvals and process student requests
- Work to consistently improve systems and processes that will enhance customer service and/or simplify internal workflow
- Recruit and supervise interns in collaboration with the Account Executive
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to provide stellar customer service to internal and external stakeholders; a sense of urgency, superior attention to detail, and a friendly, approachable demeanor
- Four-year degree
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proactive and strong work ethic
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and to work independently
- Experience in MS Office and database management in Mac environment; experience with Salesforce and/or Adobe Creative Suite preferred; experience with HTML and InDesign a plus
- At least one year of relevant experience including project management, planning and logistics for events, and communicating with external clients
- Ability to be flexible, innovative and to adapt to the changing needs of the department.
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Benefits include a generous vacation policy, paid health insurance and 401(k) plan with match.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter and resume, including salary requirements, (single PDF titled EA_[NAME]) with “EA/Your Name" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
About Urban Green Council
Urban Green Council is the New York affiliate of the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). Our mission is to transform NYC buildings for a sustainable future.
A nonprofit organization established in 2002, Urban Green’s in-house experts and a dedicated network of volunteers are helping to transform the built environment in New York City with models that can be replicated in urban centers nationwide. For more information, please visit www.urbangreencouncil.org.